Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Rock Band 3

Got Rock Band 3 for my PS3 this afternoon, been playing it on and off between grocery shopping and failing to do homework (Keyboard mostly). I'm really not familiar enough with the technical aspects of video games as a medium to really do a full on review and I still have homework to do, so let me summarize my thoughts with a few quick points:

1) Keyboard works, both in regular and in pro. It'll take some getting used to, but I'm getting it. It's a lot easier than guitar was when I first started out on GH3.

2) Pro is the new Expert. I don't know about Guitar and Drum pro, but if they're anything like Keyboard, it should significantly increase the lasting power of the game.

3) The setlist is fucking INCREDIBLE. Bowie, Hendrix, Queen (Rhapsody even) Ozzy, Bob Marley, Freebird, Lennon, Joan Jet, Dio...other games used to have one or two of these guys, this one has all these guys and MORE. ANY rhythm game that wants to make a dent needs to look at how incredible this setlist is and go from there.

4) Future DLC is looking great. New Doors pack, second Hendrix pack are both good and Billy Joel upcoming looks great (pretty much all the best of Joel except We Didn't Start the Fire and Goodbye Saigon). All of this is overshadowed by the fact that Electric Ladyland is coming soon. Electric Ladyland, for those of you who don't know, is an EXCEPTIONAL Hendrix album, featuring both Voodoo Child AND All Along the Watchtower. Classic rock fans, if you need to take a moment on that, I'll understand.

5) All this Hendrix and Doors and Joel DLC feels like a return to form with RB DLC. Remember when it first came out when we got The Who and Boston and Black Sabbath. THAT level of DLC, instead of just a Coheed or Megadeath amongst the mediocrity. RB had a lot to make up for, for putting Lady Gaga and Miley Cyrus on it. When Electric Ladyland hits...all is forgiven.

6) Guitar Hero is FINISHED. Done. If there is any justice in the world, this is gonna be it, the final nail in the stagnating coffin of the once-great series of GH. I know, they got it started and they did have 2112 on GH6 but too little too late. Please let this be the end, let RB rein supreme as it was meant to.

7) This may in fact be the first RB game I could platinum (IE, get all the trophies for). Closest I could get before was Beatles, which will, for the foreseeable future, remain out of reach (100 percent drums on expert Helter Skelter...not happening)

8) I'm surprised by how clean the character animations and user interface is. All the interface problems from 1 and 2 have been solved, without any new ones (yet).

9) Mr. Harmonix, now that you have Keyboard on your game, I'd like to direct you to a band headed by a man named Bruce Springsteen, specifically the album Born to Run and the song Jungleland. Just sayin, might be time.

Aight, that's it for me.

No comments:

Post a Comment