Friday, December 31, 2010

2 quick things

It's New Years Eve and while I was debating having some content-proper for you, I figured it would be wasted, especially since I'd have to rush to finish it on time. Instead I have to wonder how I missed this:

The Rum Diary

Johnny Depp is essentially using this as a follow up to his role in the flawed but worthwhile adaptation of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas. What I'd like to know is how this passed under my radar. Hunter Thompson is a personal hero of mine and I loved The Rum Diary. I'd also like to know how they're going to hammer a working narrative out of it. So much of it is just the lead character rambling to himself, describing the people or the places or just plain complaining. Very little happens until the last 3rd where the plot suddenly shows up drunkenly and knocks everything over. Oh well, could be good.

Oh and since I just finished it I would be remiss to not suggest you read Mogworld. For those of you who don't know, Mogworld is the first novel by the man behind the Escapist's Zero Punctuation (If you've never heard of ZP, I'm going to ask how that happened and recommend you go look at it, now). I'm not going to review it but it's funny in a very Douglas Adams sort of way, well written and unique, along with some genuinely interesting characters. I don't think you'll see a lot of the plot coming and it's very good, so give it a look.

Happy New Years.

No comments:

Post a Comment