Thursday, December 16, 2010

Elessar's Top 5 Games of the Year

As I have precisely 0 interest in any games coming out until January and I am constantly searching for ways to enrich my readers lives, I have decided to list my top 5 Video Games of the Year. Expect my top 10 movies of the year closer to December 31st. Oh and tune in tomorrow for my 12 Monkeys review, and sometime this weekend for my Tron Legacy review.

# 5:
Metal Gear Solid: Peace Walker

Hideo Kojima has always been one of the better name-developers out there right now (Metal Gear Solid 4 is my 5th favorite game of all time) and while he's not quite outdoing himself on this one, it's an excellent entry into an excellent series. Some of the best gameplay with the PSP controls I've ever seen and a solid and well written story combine to make probably the best PSP game of all time. Which is both awesome and a little sad.

#4:
Fallout: New Vegas

It's still up in the air whether New Vegas is better than Fallout 3 (depending on DLC and patches) but right now it's still eating my life alive. What's improved has improved mightily and what hasn't isn't so bad, but there's not a whole lot to be said that wasn't said about Fallout 3. With improvements made to the Karma (mostly through factions), some better writing and a MUCH better ending system, New Vegas was overall the game I was promised when I heard about it.
And only 2 story related trophies till platinum.

#3:
Mass Effect 2

Bioware is still the overall best American RPG developer (and second worldwide right now to Atlus) and while I'm STILL waiting for my Jade Empire 2 (where the fuck is it), Mass Effect is their current flagship game for a reason. An incredibly in depth story, told in a well made universe with unique and engaging characters, it's one of the best regarded games of the year. And it's arrival on the PS3 was the last straw against my 360, the final reason why I don't need it anymore. So really, I was holding on to an entire system for 1 game. And doesn't that say volumes about the game?

#2:
Assassin's Creed: Brotherhood
What was initially scary to me about the Assassin's Creed series was how much it took me by surprise, rocketing to near the top of my favorite games of all time (3rd for those of you who are interested). What continues to be scary about it is, each game keeps getting better. Brotherhood is easily the most refined vision of the series, with great new mechanics, better writing and FINALLY the ability to use a crossbow (seriously it was in the pre-menu cutscene of the first one). If they keep getting better, they might be able to take a run at the number 2 spot by the time Assassin's Creed 3 hits.

#1 (Game of the Year):
Heavy Rain
This is technically a cheat. Brotherhood and Mass Effect 2 were technically more refined, more polished games, with easier to control mechanics. But none of that matters, because while it wasn't the most refined game, it was the boldest, the most unique, the bravest. It set out to create a game like no other before. There were moments of true tragedy in the game, of real emotion, of honest feelings. The scene in which Ethan is forced to cut off his finger is one of the most painful There might be more polished or successful games out there this year, but if this game didn't achieve all of its goals, it's because it set it's bar so high. And around here, we occasionally give points for intent. Enjoy Game of the Year Heavy Rain.

No comments:

Post a Comment