Sunday, February 27, 2011

Oscar thoughts

Well it was a good ceremony; James Franco and Ann Hatheway had good chemistry and were naturally funny, especially the bit with Franco in the dress, even if Franco was a bit...wooden. Kirk Douglas' stroke was sadly rather evident, I couldn't understand half of what he said.

As for the awards themselves, not a lot of surprises; Including upsets I only missed 3. Congrats on hitting me from left field with In A Better World for foreign. Did anyone else notice that Dogtooth got the least number of scenes and STILL managed to give us the family barking and the cat scene?

Hailee looked adorable in her dress, really sad she didn't win. I'm actually really disappointed True Grit didn't grab any, same with The Kids Are All Right and Winter's Bone. Guess The King's Speech really was unstoppable.

Also, I promised myself I wouldn't whine too much about this, but it really disappoints me that Toy Story 3 a good film, but an utterly pedestrian Pixar film, won best animated over something as unique and visionary as The Illusionist.

On the technical award side, not a whole lot of surprises except for soundtrack hitting me COMPLETELY by surprise. It didn't matter, because the 3 best soundtracks (True Grit, Black Swan and The Illusionist whatever people are telling me about Tron Legacy) aren't nominated. Congratulations Rick Baker on his 7th win for makeup, well deserved.

Oh well. Portman, Firth, Bale all deserved their wins (enjoy shaving that beard for Batman). Good year all around. Oh and thanks red carpet show for reminding me that, if I ever end up there, I'm wearing a t-shirt and jeans (officially, in protest for Kubrick having never won. He is my idol after all).

Enjoyable evening. Hope I was insightful.

No comments:

Post a Comment