Thursday, March 3, 2011

No, no, no and no. Also no.

People who know me will know that my favorite movie of all time is Blade Runner. Let's consider that statement for a moment: Of all of the movies I have ever seen in my life, none are higher than Blade Runner. That's pretty impressive of it, wouldn't you say?

But people who know me will also know I HATE unnecessary sequels and this applies double to movies like Blade Runner or The Shining where the ambiguity is part of what makes it great. So I get into town for Avon night and I see this little gem:

Alcon Entertainment in Talks to Buy Rights to Blade Runner

Alcon Entertainment, for those of you who don't know, is the studio behind The Book of Eli. Don't remember that movie, it's fine no one else does either. Perhaps you remember the reboot of The Wicker Man? Yeah, the one where Nicholas Cage punches women while in a bear suit. Yeah now you remember it.

So yeah, bad news. There is absolutely no way any sequel, spinoff, prequel or anything else could do anything but damage the legacy left by the original. Oh well.

Oh and since I like educating my readers: The reason I mentioned The Shining (besides, you know, it being just a flat out incredible example of a movie in which ambiguity) is because footage from the opening sequence of The Shining was used in the just-plain-awful tacked on ending of the theatrical cut of Blade Runner.

No comments:

Post a Comment