Thursday, April 28, 2011

Second Age Reviews: Porky's


The problem with reviewing the cult classics at the Avon is that many of them are...well, classics. They are cemented in the public consciousness as good and even those who haven't seen them are aware that they are good. This makes criticism rather redundant. Take Porky's for example. Everyone and their dog is already aware that it's one of the best, if not the best, of the 80's raunchy sex comedy's. What can I possibly say?

Well I can say that it's devoted a group of friends in high school who's only thoughts appear to be devoted to getting laid. No really, that's it. The characters are all well defined and you can easily tell one from the other in the movie but fucked if I can remember all their names, and a partial list is worthless. The Porky's of the title is a stripclub and suggested to be brothel as well, but very little of the film actually takes place there.

Look, I could bang on endlessly on the writing (solid) the characters (well defined) or whatever other technical details I want to rant about, but it's all irrelevant. This is a comedy so the only important question is, is it funny? Well hell yes. Oh it's the got the same problem the similar Animal House has, where it amounts to little more to a series of loosely connected sketches, but I'll be damned if it's funny and in some places it's hysterical.

One of the things I'd forgotten since my last viewing was how serious it gets in some places. What amounts to an absurdist sex comedy has a subplot concerning child abuse and racism, and when the movie focuses on it for about 10 minutes near the end the effect is whiplash inducing. But on the other hand it helps give more than a couple of the characters more depth and makes you care just a tiny bit more, so I guess it helps more than it hurts.

Another thing, more about the culture that surrounds it than the movie itself, is the notion of how filthy the movie is. Oh it's filthy alright; any movie so sex focused is always going to be. But the notion that it's hyper filthy is downright absurd. Revenge of the Nerds is filthier, American Pie is filthier, Bachelor Party is filthier. (Oh it's filthier than Animal House but mostly because it's so focused on sex).

Look this is a Year Zero film, and a comedy at that, two things that make a movie difficult to review, and put together it's damned near impossible. As I said above I could easily bang on and on about the writing and directing but it's all irrelevant. It's a funny movie, and a genre defining one at that. If nothing else, it perfectly captures the mood of being a teenager, even exaggerated: Hang around, talk about tits, drink soda and bullshit. So if you haven't seen it, give it a look and I'll see you next time.

Oh and before I go. The 3 of you who bothered to check out the Avon's listings know that 2 weeks from now is Maniac but I must sadly report that it's HIGHLY unlikely I'll be seeing that. Awkward timing, finals week and a lack of interest by both myself and my viewing companion has pretty much assured we're gonna skip it. If anything changes, I'll let you know, but as of right now, we're moving right down the list. So see you then (or next week for Thor).

Next Time on Second Age Reviews: The Princess Bride

Elessar is a 21 year old Alaskan born cinephile and he feels that it's rather telling that the first thing on screen in this movie is literally a penis joke.

No comments:

Post a Comment