Wednesday, July 20, 2011

Reblogging and thoughts

I disagree with Roget Ebert as much as I disagree with any critic, as any critic will disagree with another simply because movies are a subjective thing. But I continue to follow his site and read him fairly regularly because as much as I disagree with him, I also often agree with him, and I continually find his opinion interesting.

He writes articles occasionally and this time he's written an interesting article on how the Republican party is gradually moving out of relevance and representing the majority of people. Give it a read:

The Republicans Exit History

Incidentally, the argument about raising the debt ceiling and raising taxes continue to infuriate me to no end. I have no degree in economics or anything of that nature, but it seems to me that the Republicans are ignoring some basic math. Yes, there need to be spending cuts, but that simply lowers the rate at which we increase our debt. In order to truly lower our debt, we need to increase the amount of money we take in. The best way to do that is to, you guessed it, raise taxes.

Is it a perfect solution? No, but perfect solutions are only for a perfect world, IE the world we don't live in. As I've said before, dealing with the financial crisis will require compromise, sacrifice and the willingness to face hard problems in the face and come up with solutions that work the best for the most people. If someone, on either side of the aisle, is unwilling or unable to live up to those standards and requirements then they should sit down and shut up.

I apologize for the rant, I do intend to keep this from being a political blog.

No comments:

Post a Comment