Tuesday, September 20, 2011

Wicked through and through

I'm terribly sorry about the relative lack of content here. Life has been conspiring to keep me from seeing movies or coming up with interesting rants (The Magic/Okcupid thing essentially died before I could gather my thoughts on it in any meaningful way). But since I'm still getting readers, I feel I should give all of you insight into an odd aspect of myself:

I'm going to see Wicked tonight, in the city naturally. This will be my third time seeing it. I am not exceptionally into musical theater (okay, not HUGELY into, but I do like it) but something about Wicked keeps me coming back. There's the way that it defies the law that musicals have to have thin plots, or the fact that the music is fucking amazing, or even just the fact that I identify with the main character (gee, I identify with a bitter, caustic, sarcastic, socially isolated, unattractive, political idealist. How strange).

I've never been entirely able to identify what precisely attracts me about Wicked because, as much as I love the book, it's never resonated with me as much as the musical, even as people who know me fairly well tell me that the book seems to be much more on my wave length (I don't know if that says something about me or them). And it's true, I do usually prefer my stories darker or more depressing, which Wicked the musical certainly is not. I never even got that much into the Oz books or movies (for the record I've read 3 Oz books, Wizard, Patchwork Girl and Ozma) but something about both the book and musical of Wicked defies that. I get into the book and more so into the musical. And my lack of desire to adapt the book has more to do with the fact that it's a pain in the ass adaptation than it's content. I reread it since I wrote my article on difficult adaptations and I'd forgotten how much of it is completely without incident.

I dunno where I'm going with that. I'm certainly not going to review Wicked but I might write some adaptation thoughts/notes, maybe even post some of my conceptual script (I do this fairly often: I first wrote some concept adaptation notes back when I saw it in 2004 and have been editing them on and off for years now.) Very few people have ever gotten a look into how I write and since I'm planning on doing NaNoWriMo this year (look it up) I figured it was time to break that specific barrier. And, naturally, I must say that if any of you haven't seen Wicked and live someplace where you might have the opportunity, definately make that effort. Love it or...well I've never met anyone who hated it, so love it or merely like it, there's nothing quite like it.

After all, you're never gonna be able to get tickets to see Book of Mormon.

No comments:

Post a Comment