Saturday, October 1, 2011

Nostalgia

I've been working, for months now, on a huge rant on the current run of nostalgia in popular culture, but every time I get past the second paragraph it descends into angry ranting, which not the way I want to do it. Basically, I think it's starting to get to be a problem, especially when it simply causes people to cling to what they liked as a kid rather than try to let their tastes mature and evolve (example of how bad it can get? I recently heard an otherwise intelligent man comment that the Super Mario Brothers Super Show still holds up. Yeah). And there are huge long rants I could do on how it' causing our culture at large to be held back, especially in the realm of video games where a single company has managed to get by with barely any new ideas based on the fact that it raised most adult gamers and MAN I usually get farther than before the ranting kicks in.

ANYWAY. I recently replaced my copy of The Hero With A Thousand Face (my previous copy having fallen apart in 2009 from over-reading. This also happened to my last copy of Fear and Loathing in Las Vegas but I replaced that quicker) and in rereading it, I found a quote that sums up my feelings perfectly. So rather than waste your time with a multi-page, profanity laced rant about nostalgia, I'm just going to quote Joseph Campbell on it, and leave it at that. Kay? Kay.

We remain fixed on the unexercised images of our infancy and hence disinclined to the necessary passages of out adulthood. In the United States there is even a pathos of inverted emphasis. The goal is not to grow old but to remain young, not to mature away from Mother but to cleave to her. And so, while husbands are worshiping at their boyhood shrines, being the lawyers, merchants or masterminds their parents wanted them to be, their wives, even after 14 years of marriage and 2 fine children produced and raised, are still on the search for love.
Joseph Campbell

No comments:

Post a Comment