Wednesday, November 9, 2011

Born to Run

Yeah I've got real content coming later this week, but until then I've got this:

I was listening to Born to Run (the song...well the album too, but the song in particular) on the train ride this morning and I was reminded of something I always thought was amusing. See, Born to Run is the unofficial state song of New Jersey. Which is all well and good, Springsteen is the best example of a Jersey son made good, he still lives there, he sings about it constantly. Seriously, if you listen to 4th of July, Asbury Park (Sandy) while actually being on the Asbury Park Boardwalk, you can see all the places he references in the song. It's actually a little spooky. It'd be like being in Blackburn, Lancashire while listening to A Day in the Life, except I don't know if they actually have 4,000 holes in Blackburn, Lancashire. Or if they have to count them.

I'm getting off topic. Anyway, I find it ironic that Born to Run is Jersey's unofficial state song...given that the song is about how much Jersey is going to suck the life out of you and how you have to get out. Seriously, listen to it. "Baby this town rips the bones from your back, it's a death trap, it's a suicide rap, we gotta get out while we're young"? That's the image you want for yourself Jersey.

(Author's note: I may not have been the first person to make this point. If I'm not, please don't tell me, as far as I know it's original-ish).

No comments:

Post a Comment