Wednesday, December 14, 2011

2011 Oscars Nominations Predicitions

I've made it clear that I like the Oscars before. Okay so they rarely choose what I would say is the best film of the year (although they've been getting better about it: 2003 and 2007 they chose my best picture of the year), but their very existence makes movie studios and makers try harder.

So it's getting to be the time of year when film critics announce their best movies of the year and what they choose is often a good prediction of what will get nominated, since movie studios lobby based on what critics choose. So, as a precursor to the Oscar bits I will be doing in the future, I figure the best thing I can do is tell you what movies are likely to get nominated. This should give you a leg up on your friends in the betting pool.

CRITICS NOTE: These are merely who I think will be nominated based ENTIRELY on what's been winning critic awards, not my top 10 of the year. Some of these films have yet to be seen by me and there are still a handful of films I want to see before I announce my films of the year (notably The Artist and Incredibly Loud and Extremely Close). My top 10 will probably be announced the last week of the month.

Best Picture:
Shoe Ins:
The Descendents
The Artist
Drive

Possible:
Moneyball
Hugo
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
Tree of Life
Albert Nobbs
The Iron Lady

Outside Chance:
Harry Potter and the Deathly Hallows Part 2
J. Edgar
Rango
Win Win
50/50 
Martha Marcy May Marlene
The Help

Best Director:
Shoe In:
Alexander Payne for The Descendents
Michel Hazanavicius for The Artist

Possible:
Nicolas Winding Refn for Drive
Martin Scorcese for Hugo
Terrance Malick for The Tree of Life

Outside Chance:
Jason Reitman for Young Adult

 

Best Actor:
Shoe Ins:
Jean Dujardin for The Artist
George Clooney for The Descendents

Possible:
Brad Pitt for either Moneyball or The Tree of Life
Leonardo Dicaprio for J. Edgar
Ryan Gosling for Drive

Outside Chance:
Thomas Horn for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 

Best Actress:
Possible:
Charlize Theron for Young Adult
Tilda Swinton for We Need to Talk About Charlie
Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs
Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady

Outside Chance:
Elizabeth Olsen for Martha Marcy May Marlene
Emma Stone for The Help

Best Supporting Actor:
Possible:
Albert Brooks for Drive
Christopher Plummer for Beginners
Hunter McCracken for The Tree of Life
Patton Oswalt for Young Adult
Jonah Hill for Moneyball
 
Best Supporting Actress:
Possible:
Shailene Woodley for The Descendents
Carrey Mulligan for Drive
Jessica Chastain for The Tree of Life
Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs

Best Original Screenplay
Possible:
Young Adult
The Tree of Life
The Iron Lady

Best Adapted Screenplay
Shoe In:
The Descendents

Possible:
Moneyball
Drive
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close 
Albert Nobbs 

Best Foreign:
Shoe Ins:
Flowers of War
A Seperation
Miss Bala 

That's all the major awards and I can think of. Documentary doesn't really matter to me since Tabloid isn't up, animated will probably go to Rango.

No comments:

Post a Comment