Tuesday, December 20, 2011

Elessar's Top 5 Games of 2011

 Yeah, yeah, yeah, movies are coming later, I still have a few I wanna see. But, as usual, I'm done with my games early in the year, so I figured I'd throw a list up here to continue to try to serve my loyal readers.

Also: Some of the best games I've played all year were Metal Gear Solid 3, Shadow of the Colossus and Ico (and Mass Effect 2, but that didn't get a rerelease so much as a really late port) but they're disqualified for not having been released this year. But if you're interested, you should definitely get the Metal Gear Solid and Team Ico HD collections. Oh and other worthwhile games from this year include Catherine, Deus Ex: Human Revolution, Alice: Madness Returns and Dragon Age 2. And I still haven't played Skyrim.

So, with no further ado here are the top 5:



#5: LA: Noire
Okay I'm a bit of a sucker for the film noir genre, and since LA: Noire was essentially a film noir in game form (as you might have gotten from the title) but it's still a good game. Okay, it's not without it's flaws, mostly from the driving and gunning mechanics, but it looks great and it's a unique attempt. Here's hoping more game companies try to make games focusing on story and intellect instead of mindless shoot 'em up. I doubt it though.


#4: Batman: Arkham City
Oh Batman, Batman, Batman. Best Superhero movie ever made, best superhero TV show and best video game (although not a lot of competition there, given that runner up is probably Marvel: Ultimate Alliance). No wonder we all think you're awesome. I was a big fan of the open world aspect, playing as Catwoman, the boss fights. Hell even the ending took me by surprise and took balls...well balls for a superhero story (you'll know it when you see it). Overall improvement on the already good Arkham Asylum.

#3: Uncharted 3
Uncharted 2 in comparison to Uncharted was a little like Raiders of the Lost Ark being a sequel to Romancing the Stone. So Temple of Doom might not be as good as Raiders and Uncharted 3 might not be as good as Uncharted 2 but it was still really fucking good. The gameplay is still as good as ever, and while the story might feel copied wholesale from The Last Crusade it was still engaging as ever, with some impressive, albeit slightly shoehorned in, set pieces.

#2: Assassin's Creed: Revelations
I really wish I didn't like Assassin's Creed as much as I do. But I have to admit, Assassin's Creed gets me, in a way no game outside of ones made by Bioware does. It helps that Ezio is probably my single favorite character in any game ever and finally continuing with the story of Altair really helped out. Of course with the ending the way it is, they'll probably have to come up with a new protagonist, but hey I'm not worried.

#1: Portal 2
Portal was already one of the best games ever made and while Portal 2 has some of it's own flaws (mostly in having to explain itself every 20 minutes) but when it works, it works ABSURDLY well. The gameplay is still some of the best and smartest puzzling I've ever played in a game. And it's funny, did I mention it's funny? Not stupid funny, actually funny. I was really worried that Portal 2 would be a collection of inside jokes and cake references, but it avoids that route completely. A worthy successor to Portal and a great game of the year.

No comments:

Post a Comment