Tuesday, January 24, 2012

And the 84th Nominees Are

Best Picture:
The Artist
The Descendants
Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close
The Help
Hugo
Midnight In Paris
Moneyball
The Tree of Life
War Horse 

Wow, I honestly did not expect both Drive and Melancholia to be shut out, especially given that there's a 9th spot open where you could stick one of them. More than a little pissed, if I'm being honest. Other than that, it's a solid list, without a lot of surprises. It was kind of a shit year as Oscar movies go, what're you going to do? As usual, you can tell who the real nominees are by looking at director. As I continue to say, it's a mostly two person race, between The Artist and The Descendents with maybe Tree of Life as an upset. Hugo and Midnight are welcome back nods to Scorcese and Woody Allen, respectively the rest are honored to be nominated. The odd man out here is Extremely Loud and Incredible Close which has received middling reviews at best, but hey it's not going to win so who cares?

Best Director:
Woody Allen for Midnight in Paris
Michael Hazanavicus for The Artist
Terrence Malick for The Tree of Life
Alexander Payne for The Descendents
Martin Scorcese for Hugo

A solid enough list, but reeking of Oscar politics and polite nods. Honestly, I'm expecting a split between The Artist and The Descendants, with Artist taking Director and Descendants taking Picture. But hey, I was wrong about Drive getting nominated, so I might be wrong.

Best Actor:
Demian Bichir for A Better Life
George Clooney for The Descendants
Jean Dujardin for The Artist
Gary Oldman for Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy
Brad Pitt for Moneyball

The fact that Brad is nominated for Moneyball as opposed to Tree of Life makes me feel that an upset in the bigger categories is less likely, but hey it's still a good category. It's probably going to be either Dujardin or Clooney, with Brad Pitt as an upset. Bet accordingly.

Best Actress:
Glenn Close for Albert Nobbs
Viola Davis for The Help
Rooney Mara for The Girl With The Dragon Tattoo
Meryl Streep for The Iron Lady
Michelle Williams for My Week With Marilyn

I haven't seen 4/5 of these movies, so my ability to comment is limited. You'll also note that only one of these films is up for Best Picture, which is odd. That said, if I had to guess, I'd probably stick it for Glenn Close, as she's been 'due' for years.

Best Supporting Actor:
Kenneth Branagh for My Week With Marilyn
Jonah Hill for Moneyball
Nick Nolte for Warrior
Christopher Plummer for Beginners
Max von Sydow for Extremely Loud and Incredibly Close


Oh boy, now we can enjoy seeing 'Academy Award Nominee' whenever Jonah Hill is in a shitty comedy. Okay, that's unfair to him, the performance and movie were both good, good on him. I'm also more than a little pissed to not see Albert Brooks here for Drive. As with Actress, I've only seen Moneyball. That said, Academy Politics says Kenneth Branagh is the big favorite. Bet on him but...carefully.

Best Supporting Actress:
Bernice Bejo for The Artist
Jessica Chastain for The Help
Melissa McCarthy for Bridesmaids
Janet McTeer for Albert Nobbs
Octavia Spencer for The Help

Wouldn't it be hilarious if the only Oscar win for The Help was to a white actress? Also, Bridesmaids, really? That seems...odd. And as much as I'm a little disappointed to not see Shainlene Woodely up, it's probably going to be Bernice Bejo.


Best Original Screenplay:
The Artist
Bridesmaids
Margin Call
Midnight In Paris
A Seperation

Bridesmaids again huh? Odd. Oh well, it's probably going to be Midnight in Paris, just to make sure it gets an Oscar, but don't be surprised if it goes to The Artist

Best Adapted Screenplay:
The Descendants
Hugo
The Ides of March
Moneyball
Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy

An overall good category. My money is on The Descendants, as most people's probably are.

Best Animated Film:
A Cat in Paris
Chico and Rita
Kung Fu Panda 2
Puss in Boots
Rango

My money is on Rango as it was probably the best of all of these, but if Kung Fu Panda gets it, I will be deeply unhappy.

Best Foreign Film:
Bullhead
Footnote
In Darkness 
Monsieur Lazhar
A Separation

Anyone who tells you this is going to anything other than A Separation is either an idiot or can see the future and knows something I don't.

Other Commentary:

Seeing Transformers 3 on any of these makes me cry. I really hope The Muppets grabs song. Documentary is getting ignored by me for not letting Tabloid up. I will have a more extensive prediction list sometime down the line.

2 comments:

  1. Jessica Chastain is, and will be remembered, as one of the greatest actresses of our time, mark my words. She turned in phenomenal performances in Take Shelter, The Debt, and Tree of Life, and the fact that she's nominated for "White people solve racism" Makes me sad. Even more sad is the fact that Viola Davis, a fine actress as well, is only recognized and given lead roles if she's playing a maid.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I have had a comment from aa parent where i work objecting to the use of "retard" in "The Descendants". I understand the objection, but ths is at present how teens tend to talk, so I will give it a pass. Whether the parents of children with special needs will be so generous remains to be seen. Notwithstanding, "The Descendants" is a fine movie,and deserves the Oscar nod. Too bad about "Drive", Elessar!

    ReplyDelete