Friday, April 20, 2012

It Begins

How many of you are familiar with the concept of a movie that is so bad it's good? Thought so. How many of you are familiar with the infamous cult classic The Room? A lot I bet.

For those of you who don't know, The Room is a 2003 film by director Tommy Wiseu. He also wrote, produced and starred in it, so you KNOW it's good. The film was made on a budget of 6 million dollars but looks to cost less than a thousand is so blisteringly, absurdly, inhumanly awful that not only is it infamously one of the worst films of all time (once called 'the Citizen Kane of bad movies') but it has a rabidly devoted fanbase, who can quote it's nonsensical dialogue verbatim. Of which I am a member.

About a year ago, at a midnight showing of The Room in New York City, I was struck by a question: How did this movie come to be, and what about it appeals to it's fanbase? And so, I am, as of today, setting out to answer this question and document my answer. But I can't do it alone.

And thus, my Kickstarter launched today, for my documentary film: Roommates. Over the next few days, in between work (yes that's right, I have a proper job now) I will be uploading various videos, from my prepared opening credits, to some edited interviews I got already. But for now, I will enclose the link to my Kickstarter and ask you: If you can, please donate something. Thank you.

Kickstarter: Roommates

EDIT: Here is the link to my opening credits. Just to show you the tone of the documentary, at least as I envision it
Opening Credits 

No comments:

Post a Comment